Tuesday, May 27, 2008

How To: Install Lightscribe on Ubuntu

This guide will help you install the base Lightscribe software and the 4L Disk Labeling software on a 32-bit or 64-bit Ubuntu install.
Note: The test Lightscribe DVD burner was an LG 18x Super Multi DVD Rewriter. It is a dual-layer SATA drive. I run Ubuntu Hardy Heron amd64, but this should work on any version of Ubuntu. Let me know if you have success or problems with this method.

Note: One downside is the 4L labeling software has to be run as root. There isn't a way around this as of yet.

Open a terminal.
1. Create a temporary workspace in your home directory.
Note: You can delete this directory when you are finished installing the software.
mkdir workspace
cd workspace

2. Download the 32-bit .deb files and an icon for Lightscribe
wget http://download.lightscribe.com/ls/lightscribe-1.12.37.1-linux-2.6-intel.deb
wget http://uploads.mitechie.com/lightscribe/4l_1.0-r6_i386.deb
wget http://lawrencecomputing.dyn-o-saur.com/lightscribe/lightscribe.png

3. Install the .deb files
Important: Make sure to do these steps in this order (lightscribe then 4L)
For 32-bit:
sudo dpkg -i lightscribe-1.12.37.1-linux-2.6-intel.deb
sudo dpkg -i 4l_1.0-r6_i386.deb
For 64-bit:
sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i lightscribe-1.12.37.1-linux-2.6-intel.deb
sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i 4l_1.0-r6_i386.deb

4. Fix the missing liblightscribe.so.1 error
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/liblightscribe.so.1 /usr/lib32/
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/liblightscribe.so /usr/lib32/
sudo ldconfig

Note: The program should run now. You can test this by running:
gksudo 4L-gui

5. Copy the icon file into Ubuntu's shared icon directory
sudo cp lightscribe.png /usr/share/pixmaps/4L-gui.png
6. Create a shortcut to launch the 4L Disk Labeler as root
a. Right Click on the Ubuntu Menu Bar and choose Edit Menus.
b. In the left pane labeled menus choose either "Sound & Video" or "System Tools".
c. Then, click new item.
Enter this information into the window:
Type: Application
Name: Lightscribe
Command: gksudo 4L-gui
Comment: Label a disc with Lightscribe
Note: You can automatically generate an icon by leaving out the gksudo from "gksudo 4L-gui" in the command field. You must add gksudo to the command or the program will not be able to burn discs. Ubuntu will search for an icon in /usr/share/pixmaps with the same name as the command. Alternatively, you can click the spring icon and browse for the Lightscribe icon.

Note: You can burn a label twice if it is not dark enough. Don't worry about the orientation of the disc, the drive will align it for you.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the well organized article. I successfully installed lightscribe on my 64 bit Ubuntu system with the help.

Couple things I wanted to let you know... first I found the link dead for the .png icon image. I just used Google image search and found something that works fairly well. Second, in step 5 I had to change /usr/shared/ to usr/share/, not sure if that's just my system or not. I'm not versed enough in the nuts and bolts of Linux to know. Lastly I didn't need to use sudo in the command line for creating the application menu item. It actually wouldn't function for me at all when I used it. I just left it as 4L-gui and it starts up fine with all the gui items seeming to work though I didn't go as far as executing a print on a CD.

Anyways, thanks for the well organized article, wouldn't have been able to install this without it.

HowToPenguin said...

Sorry about the dead link. I forgot to put that image file back on after I upgraded my web server. The /usr/shared/ was a typo. You were correct with the /usr/share/ directory. I'm pretty sure for the program to have access to your burner you need to run as root. I just followed my guide to get Lightscribe working on a 32-bit Ubuntu and it worked perfectly using gksudo 4L-gui. I updated the guide to reflect these changes.

Thanks for the feedback.

Unknown said...

Hi!
I did follow the instruction for the installation of my Lightscribe on Hardy Heron, everything went fine, except for one thing, and it's a major thing: at the start of the software,$L-gui, it does not see my DVD burner, a LG SATA. After a reboot, same thing, my dvd burner is not detected. So where I missed the procedure?

Unknown said...

Re-Hi!
Well, I was sure that my problem with my lightscribe was not a great one and I did fix it. It should be important to say, that on should copy the two files of the librairie to /usr/lib32 so that the lightscribe drive become operational. Just that and it word well.

Thank you for the tips to. Very helpfull.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant it worked a treat on my 32 bit comp the link to the icon still don't work, but you can chose any icon in the launcher program. I did have visions of having to try the install software in wine no need to now.

Thanks for a very useful article.

Unknown said...

hi, I tried this on ubuntu 9.10, no go.
the app starts but says 'error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory'.
I do have libstdc++.so.6 but no version 5
linking version 5 to version 6 doesn't help
any ideas are welcome. thanks

Unknown said...

this worked for me:
http://bootstrapping.wordpress.com/2009/11/25/missing-libstdc-so-5-in-ubuntu-9-10-karmic/

Will said...

There seems to be another application on the lightscribe site:
lightscribeApplications-1.18.15.1-linux-2.6-intel.deb

Got it from here: http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSection/linux/index.aspx

I I followed all the steps above for installing both the System Software and the new Applications, but all I get is "lightscribeApplications: command not found"

Any ideas?

Techwiz said...

Another location for the .deb Lacie application:

wget -c http://www.yardbird.net/lightscribe/4l_1.0-r6_i386.deb

Found on Hungarian Ubuntu forum page...